I started rocking a smokey eye a long time ago. My go to makeup in my teens was pretty much foundation, a dark eye and lip gloss. (And yes, I realize I forgot to do my brows totally.) The first time I painted my eyes smoky was actually on elementary school. But that’s another story for another time, that includes nervous parents and bad teaching.
The point of the story is, I love a smokey eye. I’ve always felt at home in this enigmatic and classic look. It doesn’t even matter if it’s a bit messy or not totally perfect – those things suit the sultry smokey look. So yes, I’m thinking you can totally pull it off!
I also love how well this suits deep set and hooded eyes. The way to make it work is just to bravely lift the color high enough.
Sparkly smokey eye tutorial
using Urban Decay Vice 4 & YSL Sequin Crush Eyeshadow 9
If you want to adjust the look, you can choose lighter colors. You can also leave the glitter out. I actually loved the look just in matte brown and black colors! But once I applied the glitter eyeshadow I loved it even more – it makes the look more glamorous.
- I started by creating the shape I wanted for the eyeshadow. This was pretty much the farthest I brought the color. It also acted as the guideline for the black eyeshadow. Once I had the lines drawn I could just fill in the lid color!
- I blended the lines a bit and then added the lid color. I then blended them together. What helps the blending is blending in the direction you want the eyeshadow to go. So on the lid I do back and forth motion and in the outer corner I turn my brush and blend towards the end of my brow.
- I lined my eyes. Black in the waterline goes perfectly with a true smokey eye.
- I then added my glitter eyeshadow on the lid (where I first added that black). I used a glitter primer with it.
- Finally I added some inner corner sparkle and lot of mascara. All done!
The smokey eye look without glitter (or mascara).
The smokey eye look with glitter eyeshadow.
*NARS Sheer Glow Foundation, Punjab
*NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, Custard
Stila Cream Blush, Sheer Petunia (Shop on *Lookfantastic US *Lookfantastic UK)
Urban Decay Vice 4 Palette
*NYX Glitter Primer
YSL Sequin Crush Eyeshadow 9 (Shop on *Lookfantastic UK)