If I should publish one recipe on my blog, it should be this: the best salad recipe in the world.
To everyone else’s amusement it carries a name I came up with on the spot. I first tried the salad when Risto cooked it for me on one of our first dates. It was the best thing I had ever had and he didn’t have a name for it yet– so naturally I gave it a name it deserves. Somehow that name stuck and we still call it that (and that may cause some funny situations at the grocery store).
So here is the recipe for Orgasm salad – the best salad in the world. The recipe is easy and it can easily be transformed for vegans or vegetarians. Basically you can’t go wrong with it (so perfect for someone like me, who hates following recipes and just wants to be her own life’s master chef). It’s also quite low on carbs and heavy on healthy fats and protein – so very healthy!
A few important notes and tips before you start making the best salad in the world
The recipe has lived a lot during these years. To reach the optimum taste, you can get creative with it. We’ve tried adding all kinds of ingredients, removing some and even changed the dressing a little bit. That’s how we ended up with this recipe that is just right for us.
The importance of lime juice on the avocados: it’ll help the avocados keep their beautiful color in addition to providing a nice taste. Although now that I think about it, we usually eat the salad right away.
The dressing is important: There are different varieties of soy sauces, olive oils, chilis and even honey, so after you’ve blended it, taste it. The dressing is quite important: you’re looking to get a sweet, a bit hot taste. If you like it hot like we do, go for more chili and less honey, and if you prefer a sweeter taste, go for less chili and more honey. If you taste too much soy sauce, add some oil in it. The dressing stays good for quite a while and there’s usually some left over after dinner. We keep it in the fridge and use it to spice up some some other foods.
For vegetarians: I eat either tofu or quorn with this salad. I don’t necessarily use any spices – I just cook them in grapeseed oil. Though sometimes Risto cooks this for me according to the recipe with the garlic, lime juice and soy sauce – and it tastes even better. So follow the recipe, if you want your tofu or quorn to taste exceptionally good. But thanks to the dressing, it’ll taste good regardless.
The orgasm salad recipe (=the best salad recipe)
Serves 2-4, cooking time 20-30min.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (squeeze half of a lime)
- 9 oz or 1 box of plum/cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 3,5 oz spinach or salad leaves of your choice (baby spinach is the greatest though!)
- handful of cashews
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey (or sugar/agave for vegans)
- 1-2 fresh chilis
- 15 oz quorn / marinated tofu /1-2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp lime juice (squeeze the other half of lime)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- If using chicken, take it out at least 30min before cooking.
- Roast the cashews on a clean pan, until they have a nice, brown surface. Set aside to cool.
- Pan-fry the “meat” in 2 tbsps of grapeseed oil with minced garlic gloves for 5-7 mins (aim to get a browned surface here).
- Halve and squeeze one half’s lime juice on top of the “meat”, mix it up and fry for 1 min (or until there’s still a little bit left of it boiling on the pan)
- Add the soy sauce and fry for 1 min (or until there’s only a few drops left sizzling on the pan)
- Set aside to cool.
- Cut the stems of the chilis
- Add the chilis, soy sauce, olive oil and honey(/agave) in a blender and blend until smooth. We use Vitamix, which is like the best blender ever. If you don’t have a blender, chop the chilis and mix with other ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slice and dice the avocados, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Place the sliced avocados in the bowl and squeeze the other half of the lime juice on top of them.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, spinach leaves and the cashews to the bowl and mix.
- Serve salad on a plate, top it with the “meat”, add the dressing, mix and enjoy!
Now: I urge you to try this – and share your experience in the comment section! If you don’t think this is the best salad recipe in the world after tasting it, I absolutely need to get my hands on the recipe of anything that’s better than this.